Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pleasantly Prague

I have fallen in love with another city... Prague. I was able to spend four very enjoyable days there last week. Let me tell you all about it: Wednesday morning I awoke early. I had a few errands I had to run before going to the train station. I quickly packed my things and headed out the door. Forty minutes later I was in the heart of Vienna's first district. I walked straight from the U-bahn station to the post office. I mailed away several post cards, and from there I walked to BIPA (a store that sells shampoo, deodorant, etc). I had one thing I had to buy, and of course I couldn't find it. After walking around the store for a few minutes, I finally broke down and went to the store clerk. My first question... Sprechen sie Englisch?, her answer... Ein Wenig. I ask her in broken German where I could find a sewing kit. She tells me that they don't have any and that BIPA doesn't sell them period. I was frustrated, and pressed for time, but I was determined to get one, so I walked to a near-by grocery store. Keep in mind I had my luggage with me. The grocery store didn't have any either. Curse Vienna! I Thought to myself. Where in the world would I find a sewing kit? I didn't have time to look around, so from the grocery store I walked to the Straßen Bahn. The next available car was 10 minutes away. I was worried I wouldn't have enough time to get to the train station. Fortunately other people from my group were waiting for the same car. We get on the train bound for Prague. I was very excited, not only for Prague, but also because Michelle was going to teach Emily and I how to knit. I was a very slow learner, and by the end of the 4 hour train ride I had only made 3 inches or so of stiches. I was determined to get better. We arrived in Prague, greeted by a cold and foggy day... perfect for one's first impression of the Czech Republic. We made it onto the subway enroute to our Hostel... Oh, our hostel. I'm not one to enjoy public bathrooms. There were three toilet rooms per floor, and two communal showers. When we arrived I announced to everyone that they would have to enjoy me not showering, because there was no way I was going to get naked with anyone else. It ended up not being a problem. No one on our floor showered at night, so we were all able to shower alone. Anyways, soon after checking into our Hostel, we met our tourguide. Yet another tourguide I will not pay attention to. We spent 3 and a half hours walking around central Prague. It was beautiful, but it was also cold! I hadn't packed a hat or gloves, so by the end of the tour I was frozen. The end of the tour left us in a square with food and shopping. Emily, Michelle, Sydney and I went to a nearby Italian restaurant. The prices were good, the food was good, what more could one ask for? We spent about 3 hours there. I ordered spaghetti and a banana milk shake. Both were excellent. Back in the Hostel I find that the guys room had become the social center. I sat on my bed, trying to knit, listening to 5 conversations at once. Everyone was so fascinated with the fact that I was knitting. American men just don't knit. I became frustrated with my pathetic first attempt, so I pulled the yarn off. Unfortunately I couldn't remember how to restart. Lucky for me Jillian knew how to knit, and showed me how to restart. I got a few inches done that night before I went to bed. The next morning was our second 3 hour tour... same tour guide. He took us into the Jewish part of the city. After the tour was over, a group of us went to buy tickets to a Black Light Theater show. We all got tickets for the 'best of show' which was playing the next night. From there, Michelle, Emily and I went to lunch. We found a Chinese restaurant with decent prices. Both Emily and Michelle had horrible food, but mine ended up being pretty good. I figure no matter where you are, sweet and sour chicken just can't be screwed up. After lunch we walked to Charle's Bridge. Its tourist central... hang on to your wallet:) We walked across the bridge, stopping occasionally at a store or for a performer. We noticed an air balloon on the other side, which we eventually found. We wanted to take a ride, but the looks of this balloon didn't make that very desirable. So no balloon ride, but to our benifit we were on the other side of the bridge... the less touristy side. We walked around hoping to find a Cafe with the perfect atmosphere... and we found it! Kaficko, the first non-smoking cafe. It was the greatest discovery ever! When we arrived, the waitress thought we were Czech. We all loved that. No tourists in sight. We sat in the cafe for the rest of the evening. I ordered hot chocolate... which fyi, hot chocolate in Prague means you are ordering chocolate that has been melted. If you want American hot chocolate, get the Hot Cocoa. I also ordered an Apple strudel. The whole purchase was only about 3 dollars. After a few hours in the Cafe, we walked back to the Hostel. We hung out in Emily and Michelle's room for awhile... We all got some knitting done:) The next morning was our third and final 3 hour tour... 3 and a half hours. This time we traveled to Prague Castle. It was a cold and foggy morning. The castle was barely distinguishable. The Castle's complex has several buildings, one of which is a rather impressive Gothic Cathedral. It was by far the most beautiful Gothic Cathedral I've been in. The stained glass windows bathed the interior with colors of light. It was stunning. Right before we left a woman began singing Ave Verum, by Mozart. It brought me to tears. I someday hope to sing in a Cathedral like that. When we were released from the tour, Emily, Michelle, and I went back to the Cafe and hung out for a few hours. This time I ordered Mint tea... so freaking good! After enjoying our tea we walked back to the Hostel. Michelle and I took naps while Emily read about visiting the Temple (she was just recently engaged). That night was our Black Light Theater Show. It wasn't the most spectacular thing I've ever seen, but it was enjoyable. In between the black light numbers, they had a pantomime group perform. It was pretty funny stuff. After the show we went back to the Hostel. We watched The Addams Family on Emily's computer. We all went to bed after that. The next morning, after breakfast and checkout, we went back to the Cafe. I ordered some hot cocoa, and a piece of honey cake. That cafe will always be my favorite thing about Prague. After another enjoyable few hours at the cafe, we walked to the The Prague Astronomical Clock tower. For about 2.50, you can walk up to the top. The view was beautiful. From there we went to lunch. We chose to eat at the Italian restaurant we ate at the first night. We all got pizzas... huge, massive pizzas! I ate the entire thing, and I paid for that decision later. We had about an hour left after lunch, so we stopped by a BILLA to get some snacks for the train ride home. I purchased so much junk food, and all of it was equivalent to only about 5 bucks. Prague is still reasonably cheap compared to other European countries. We went back to our Hostel to pick up our bags. We left for the train station 15 minutes before everyone else... not the smartest of decisions. We were unaware of how to get to the correct subway car. We waited in the U-bahn station for awhile, where we were able to witness a rather frightening pick-pocket transpire. Our group was late leaving the Hostel, and we were sick of waiting, so we found the correct Subway and departed. When we got off the subway, we asked some Cops where the train station was. They gave us very good directions, in body language only... they didn't speak english. In the train station we waited another 10 minutes before our group finally arrived. We walked to our platform to discover our train was 40 minutes late! We arrived in Vienna an hour later than was scheduled. I didn't get home until 11:30pm. Oh... what a fun day. I loved Prague. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to travel. And while you're there, visit cafe Kaficko... Its on the other side of the Charle's Bridge.

2 comments:

Shawna Jo said...

a cup full of melted chocolate..i could ever handle something like that..

Chess said...

Joe...I love you....and I love that you are learning to knit. I have loved you forever, and I didn't think it was possible to love you more, but since I saw you and the word 'knit' in the same sentence, the love I have for you just solidified in my heart and can never go away. Ever! :D Dude, I miss you so much! Let's please please please hang out over Christmas break!