Saturday, October 18, 2008

May I Vent?

OK... I think it would be safe to say that I am fed up with my group members. Today I was embarrassed, humiliated, and harrassed all for the sake of others wanting entertainment. It made me sick. Let me explain. Today a large group of us traveled out of the city to see the Seegrotte... not worth your time, fyi. Everything was poorly planned, and the end result was a lousy tour of a fairly unimpressive underground lake. During our tour, we came to a large room that had a rather cool echo. Our tour guide, damn him (although it wasn't his fault), said it would be fun to sing something. My director immediately jumped on that and asked me to sing. I had no desire, and was not prepared, but have you ever tried looking a Professor in the face and saying no? I made every possible excuse, but she continued to ask. Eventually I just turned away in embarrassment. It really got to me. I DO NOT like being harrassed to sing on the spot. Good singers prepare to sing for their audience... they don't just sing random songs for praise. I refuse to become a singer who sings for glory. I have never been that way, and I won't let any Professor persuade me otherwise. The other members of my group are no better. Despite my many attempts to explain the concept of pride in a performance, they continue to ask. I'm becoming evermore aggravated with the constant disregard and lack of respect my fellow students have for me, and others. I'm done with it. I won't be nice the next time they ask me, and I won't be nice to anyone who ever asks me again. Thank you fellow BYU students for increasing the boiling pot of bitter stewing within me.

It was hard for my day to recover after that. Anger was spilling over me and I had no means for an outlet. I spent the afternoon with Michelle and Emily. They let me share my frustrations with them, something I'm extremely grateful for. We went out to Cafe Europa for lunch. Emily and I ordered a rather tasty curry soup, and Michelle ordered a baguette. Just to let you know, the service in Vienna is incredibly poor. Possibly due to the fact that the service industry doesn't have to work for tips. I hate it! After dinner I went home briefly to change, and then it was right back out again. I met with Michelle earlier tonight to go see the musical Rebecca, based on the book. It was amazing! It definitely helped to calm the raging fire that had been started within me just hours earlier. Music, the great healer:)

1 comment:

Chess said...

I'm sorry your group is being a bunch of butts. Of course, it makes me feel a little guilty for the times I've hounded you. Course, I've known you longer, so I'm allowed. Haha, kidding. Still...looks like you are having an amazing time. Miss ya, love ya, and all the above!