Saturday, November 8, 2008

Was I In Greece?

Oh... Life is great. This week our group had our scheduled vacation. One week without school, homework, stress... one week of joy. Each of us disbanded into smaller travel groups and ventured into the world. One group went to England, another went to Rome, another to Basil... my group traveled to Greece, and it was by far the best vacation I've ever had! Let me tell you all about it. Monday morning I awoke early. My packing had been done the night before, but I was still in need of a few travel-sized items. I went to a grocery store called Mercur... something similar to Albertsons or Smiths in the States. I got what I hoped was shower gel (my german is still lacking), and a tube of toothpaste. From there I hopped on my usual subway enroute to Landstrasse, the station which has the desired S-bahn to the Airport. I arrived at the station a bit disoriented. There was construction all around, and I was unsure of where everyone would be meeting. Luckily I got a call just as I was walking through the exit... it was Trevor telling me where everyone was. I met up with the rest of our group, Jen, Trevor, Willow, Sydney, Lisa, and Nicole. Excitement was in the air. "We're going to Greece!" everyone said. A half an hour later we were on our S-bahn, headed to the airport. We arrived about 2 hours early. This, of course, is nothing out of the ordinary for the U.S., but for Europe its a bit unsual. We were the first ones at our gate. We would wait another hour and a half for boarding. I got a sandwich at a shop to eat while we waited... 4 euros, rip off! Our plane was smaller and didn't have its own terminal, so we took a bus to our plane and boarded by means of stairway (I had always wanted to do that). Our flight was short, only about an hour and a half. I tried taking a nap, but of course I am unable to sleep on planes... why? We arrived in Athens at about 2:30pm. The weather was warm and sunny! Yay! We weren't in Vienna! A few questions at the tourist desk oriented us to our surroundings. We would have to take a bus into central Athens (the Subway system was on strike). While purchasing our tickets, we ran into a fellow American studying abroad there. He had just arrived back from a trip to Germany. He talked to us the entire way, giving us tid-bits of information he thought would be useful. When we arrived (almost 2 hours later), he then led us to the area where our Hostel was located. Pretty nice guy... Zane, I think was his name. He's majoring in Agricultural science. Who majors in Agricultural science? Anyways, we checked into our Hostel... a total of 12.50 Euros a night. The accommodations weren't horrible, and I was used to the idea of a public bathroom. Prague took care of that. We didn't stay in our hostel long, we wanted to walk around and see the city... and we were starving. After getting some food (fyi, they have Cheetos in Greece!), we walked through the tourist market(pretty typical, lot's of junk). I was on the prowl for some linen pants... unfortunately everything linen costs a fortune. The girls all had there hearts set on some Grecian sandals or on a sun dress, all were a bit pricey. We walked around the rest of the night. We purchased our first Gyro... not bad, though not my favorite food. For dessert it was milkshakes at a Grecian McDonald's. You can always count on the familiar. From there we walked back to our Hostel... the next day would be jammed full of fun things. The next morning we awoke early. Breakfast at our Hostel consisted of bread and jam... are you kidding me? We ate as much bread as we could... 9 pieces for me. We checked out and left our bags there (2 Euros per bag storage fee for the day... another rip off). From there we walked straight to the Acropolis... only about a 7 minute walk from our Hostel. Students studying in the EU get into Grecian venues for free, so we all got in without a problem... Free!!! It blew our minds to think we were walking through the Acropolis in Athens. Greece, the birthplace of modern theater, art, music, mathematics, philosophy... need I go on? Its like the most important place on earth:) From the Acropolis we walked to the Agora... another beautiful ruin. Our recent lectures in fine-arts gave us the vocabulary to desribe the structures. The capitals are...Doric, Ionic, Corinthian, the architrave has sculptured relief. We all felt pretty intelligent. After the Agora we had nothing in our minds but food. We tried finding a place suggested by the SkyEurope magazine from our flight over. We found it, unfortunately it was closed. We quickly found an alternative though... quick pita. We all purchased our second round of Gyros... they were a little better this time, a bit spicier. We had one last stop for that day in Athens... the theater, the highest point in the city. We didn't want to walk all the way over there, so for 50 Euros cents we took a subway. It didn't really make a difference, we still had to walk a ways... and it was all uphill. I wondered how many times I uddered the phrase:"I need to get in shape." It was worth the burn, because the view was spectacular. We stayed there for awhile, enjoying the view, soaking up sun rays. We walked back to our Hostel... it only took about 25 minutes. We picked up our luggage and walked back to the Subway station. Two subways and about 45 minutes later we arrived at the Port of Athens. Our next stop was the Island of Aegina, about an hour and a half away. We purchased our tickets... only 8.50 Euros, what a steal! I had never before been on a boat on the ocean. I loved it! On our way to to the Island we were able to watch the sunset. The colors were so beautiful. In that instant I was completely content. As I breathed in the warm, salty air, I thought to myself how blessed I was to be experiencing such perfect moment. Little did I know those moments would continued to occur. We arrived on the Island unaware as to how to get to our Hostel. We asked around, but no tourist shops seemed to want to help. We made it to the Buses and found out which bus to take. I will admit to being very nervous at this time. We were on an old, island bus, traveling in the dark through windy roads. We arrived in the small town of Aegina Marina, on the opposite side of the Island's port. It was dark, and the town seemed almost deserted. We stopped at a restaurant to ask for directions... Her first words:"Hotel Liberty, right?" followed by "I stayed open just for you." She then gave us directions. We arrived at our hostel... they had been expecting us, and as we walked in the owner says:"Two doubles, and a Triple?, come with me." It took me a moment to comprehend their welcoming spirit. These people were so nice... it just didn't seem normal. We walked into our rooms... they were amazing. They all had balconies, two of which overlooked the beach. I was fortunate to have one of those rooms:) We asked the owner when he wanted us to pay... his response: "Whenever." I delighted in his laid back attitude. We paid a bit later... he was a bit surprised. After settling in, we walked back to the restaurant where the lady had given us directions. This woman was the coolest person I've ever come in contact with while traveling. She talked with us as if we were already friends. I ordered the spinach lasagna. I'm not really a spinach person, but it was very delicious. We talked with her for awhile longer and found out she spoke 7 languages. She was born in Egypt, lived in Africa, and later came to the Island. After dinner she put on some Egyptian music. We danced with her for about 45 minutes. It was so much fun. We pulled ourselves away, determined to come back the following night. We had been on the Island for over 2 hours, and we hadn't been to the beach yet... our next stop was the beach! A few people put on their swimming suits and ran around in the water. I was in shorts, so I didn't mind getting my feet wet. The water was so clear and even with the dimmly lit beach you could see the bottom. We played around for about an hour, and after that we went back to our hostel to play games. I, along with Trevor, Lisa, and Jen, played pool. I'm not very good, but I enjoy it nonetheless. The owners put on music for us... a dance mix. I busted moves in between shots. Later that night we all hung out in the triple room. We talked and played games, one of which was a modified drinking game supplied by Sydney (she goes to UCLA, where drinking games are played openly). The next morning we woke up early, once again. Our breakfast was amazing! Much more than just bread and jam. They had breads, desserts, cereals, sandwich materials... it was much better than Athens. After we ate, we all put on our swimsuits and it was off to the beach. We spent the rest of the day there. It was my very first time swimming in the Ocean... or rather I should say the Mediterranean Sea. I had reservations at first, but they soon went away. The water was wonderful... no colder than a swimming pool. You could also see the bottom a hundred yards or so away from the beach... amazing:) We swam and laid out for awhile. I wanted to build a sandcastle, and as soon as I had said those words the production was underway. We all joined in and worked on it for over an hour. It was so much fun! Trevor found a plastic pipe on the beach and perfected a technique of creating sand-columns. I worked on the entrance... trying to make an arched-doorway. The others worked on the inside, building a few essential buildings... a church, barracks, and a large palace-like structure. The whole thing was very impressive, considering we only used stuff we found on the beach. We were having so much fun, we neglected to eat lunch. We left the beach, hungry and sun-kissed (very sun-kissed for Willow and me). On the way back to our hostel I broke down and bought a pair of sandals... more than I wanted to spend, but certainly worth it. We were virtually the only tourists in the town, so I didn't mind spending some money to help their off-season economy. We walked back to our Hostel to rinse off the salt we had aquired during the day's activities. A few people were hungry, so we made our way to a grocery store. I bought a six-pack of water so we could hydrate ourselves (the water on the Island is not drinkable). That night we went back to the same restaurant. This time I ordered meatballs. They were by far the most delicious meatballs I had ever had. She turned on music for us again... we were all tired, but we all ended up dancing anyway. The music attracted a few more customers... we danced while they ordered. A bit later we pulled out our money to pay. She said she wanted to dance with one of the guys before we left. Naturally that meant she would dance with me... Trevor kept insisting that I was the superior dancer. I'm really not a good dancer when it comes to dancing with a partner, regardless I danced with her anyway. It was fun... she was really nice, considering I was horrible. We went back to the Hostel so a few people could change. We were determined to take every advantage of our beach, so that meant we were going to night swim. The breeze was telling us it wasn't a good idea, but we ignored its warnings and ventured into the water. Our loud squeals echoed across the shore as our skin adjusted to the cold water. Halfway out our willpower began to wane. We weren't going to make it. If we weren't going to swim, then at least we would submerge our bodies underneath the cold water. "On the count of three... Wait! wait! I'm not ready... I need to prepare myself... OK, ready? One, Two, Three..." We all took the plunge... a second time just for good measure. Then it was a race to the shore, and our dry towels. Back in our Hostel it was time to relax. A few people wrote in their Journals. I played my first game of Backgammon... Nicole taught me how to play. I ended up winning... beginners luck, I guess. The next morning we attempted to watch the sunrise over the Sea. The clouds covered the horizon, so we didn't get to see it. Someday I will witness the sun rising out of the ocean. That morning we asked our Hostel owner when check-out was... his reply:"Whenever you want." We explained what we wanted to do for the day, he said:"Check out, 6 o'clock... that will be fine" Really? Why are people on this Island so cool? After breakfast we were going to meet up with the lady from the Restaurant. She was going to take us up to see the temple ruins of Aphaea. Apparently her clock was off, because she didn't meet with us. We found our way up to the temple with a little help from our Hostel owner and some signs... oh, and I also asked some Firemen when we couldn't find signs in english. We, of course, got into the Temple grounds for free. A few tourists from America were joking about how unfair it was that they had to pay to get in. Our response... pay touition, then we'll talk. Inside, we met a tourist traveling from Germany. We practiced some German and asked him a few questions. I understood most of what he said. German-German is much easier to understand than Austrian-German. After the temple we went back to the Sea. We had discovered a small cove earlier that had turquoise-colored water. We swam and sun bathed on the rocks... I opted to go back to the beach. I find sand to be much more comfortable. Willow, Lisa, and I swam a bit longer, then we all went back to the Hostel to shower and pack. Before we left we stopped off at a Grocery store to buy some snacks. On the way we said our goodbyes to our favorite restaurant owner... I'm not sure of her name, but I will always remember her. Our bus came shortly after, and we arrived in the port of Aegina about 45 minutes later. Willow and Nicole purchased some pistachios... the island is famous for them. The rest of us walked around for a bit. Our ferry left shortly after. It was sad to say goodbye to such a wonderful place. Back in Athens we immediately noticed the difference between our paradise of Aegina Marina and the colder reality of a large city. We made it back to our Hostel and settled in. Hungry, once again, we walked out into the beehive... as I had started revering to it... the touristy part of the city. We bought some Gyros (my third, if you're keeping count), and for dessert we went to a crepe place... I got one with apricot jam. We spent the rest of the night walking around. We saw a few undesirable areas of the city... which prompted us to go back to our Hostel. We talked for about an hour, then we all went sleep. The next morning we got up early and stuffed our faces full of bread. We had discovered on our way to Aegina days prior that the subway station by the Flea market had lockers in it. We were able to fit all 7 of our bags into one locker... only 3 Euros... major bargain. From the station we walked over to the Temple of Olympian Zeus. It was amazing to see how large the structure would have been if it were intact. The columns left standing were huge. From the temple we walked over to the Panatheniac Stadium. It was closed... I'm not sure why. We took a few pictures and departed. The rest of the afternoon was spent shopping. I was in search of any souvenir at this point. I came across a hat... I'm not really a hat person, but everyone told me that I looked great in it. I surrendered under peer pressure and purchased the hat. I really like it, I just hope I'll wear it. We were hungry, so we stopped at a hole-in-the-wall Gyro stand for lunch. The Gyro was delicious... 4 Gyros had won me over to the concept. After lunch we continued to shop... towards the end of our shopping journey I came across a pair of linen pants... not 100% linen, because I simply cannot afford to spend 70 Euros for a pair of pants, but they looked linen, and they were made in Greece. I tried them on and purchased them without a second thought. I have linen pants... and a linen shirt to go with it... neither of which are pure linen. But who cares:) After all of our shopping needs were met, we walked back to the subway station where we stored our bags. We purchased subway tickets back to the airport and we arrived there about an hour later. Our flight back to Vienna was comfotable... both flights were very empty. I tried, once again, to take a nap... and failed. I am determined to sleep on a plane! We arrived in Vienna greeted by a cold, wet, and cloudy evening. I already miss the warmth of the Mediterranean. So... that was my vacation in Greece. It was by far one of the most enjoyable experiences in my life. I hope to go back there someday. Now life continues. I have homework due, and tests to study for. I also have another trip coming up. This Thursday my group is traveling to Budapest. Life abroad is wonderful.

1 comment:

Mikey said...

so jealous. i recently learned about all the capitals and such that you were referring to in my interior design class...made me feel slightly smart. :)