Monday, November 17, 2008

Turandot

Tonight was a night I will remember for the rest of my life, as I was blessed to have seen the masterpiece of Turandot, by Puccini. The sets, the singing, the costumes... they were all exquisite! I shudder when I think of how close I was to missing the performance altogether. I was at Cindy's house watching My Mother's Courage, a movie adapted from the play, which we are reading in our Opera/Theater class. The movie ended at 6:30pm, and the Opera started at 7... I thought I had plenty of time to get there. I made it to the Volksoper 10 Minutes before the production started. I quickly got in line to buy my ticket. I paid 10 Euros for a seat that is usually 94... how is this possible? One might ask. One of the many perks of being a student, and having no money. I sat in the middle of the seventh row... it was so perfect. Right before the Opera began, an usher greeted the audience and annouced that the actor playing Calàf was having some difficulties with his voice, due to the bad weather. This was all in German, of course, and I understood most of it. The Opera started quite differently then I was expecting, there wasn't an Overture, just a series of clicks while men dressed in abstract costumes marched across the stage. I marveled at the interpretation... everything appeared insect-like. Calàf's voice was regrettably finished by the first act, which meant someone would have to replace him. I was surprised when the usher announced that they would have Calàf continue to act, while having another singer sing his part. No understudy? How interesting. I was not at all disappointed... the new tenor blue my mind. I was brought to tears as he passionately performed 'Nessun Dorma.' The audience went wild when he finished. The entire Opera was absolutely magnificent. I didn't want it to end, but of course all good things have to. When the curtain call came my hands burned with enthusiasm. Each time the actor playing Calàf came out for applause, he brought his other voice with him. I was so touched to see his appreciation for the help he received, rather than being bitter about someone else taking the spotlight. What a wonderful night. I recommend seeing this Opera... it will inspire you!

1 comment:

Shawna Jo said...

I just love hearing you talk about your operas. You sound so passionate I just love it! I’m sure I would have enjoyed it some but would have enjoyed your company more:)